Tuesday, July 27, 2010

parenting pointer #1




If there’s one thing I want to be really good at, it’s parenting. that's not surprising because most parents feel that raising kids is their most defining life’s work. (That is the benefit of parenthood: you don't need to go on endless soul searching to discover your purpose. you only need to look at your kids and you know exactly what you're here for*)

But I’m not a natural when it comes to parenting as I feel some people are. I’m not the motherly type, never the supermom that most people equate with the good parent. I don’t exactly prepare my kids’ baon everyday; I don’t mind their homework most of the time; didn't breastfeed them exclusively for a year; didn’t make it a point to give them a bath myself everyday during their pre-grade school years.

I delegate these things (well, except for the breastfeeding part) most mothers (even the working ones) would probably do themselves. There were times that I felt guilty about this but I don’t really enjoy guilt-tripping. So I snap out of it fast. Good for me but as for my kids, well, from the looks of it, maybe good for them, too. A guilt-ridden mom is no fun mom. (yup, that’s me rationalizing).

A lot of moms attempt real hard at becoming the society’s idea of supermom** And that's fine because it seems like a noble aspiration. I say "seems" because I have a feeling that supermom tendencies are partly borne out of the parent's own need for social validation and affirmation, and not just out of a desire to make the children feel more loved. of course, validation or affirmation is a natural human need.

but if that's our major driver for wanting to be superparents, then we're missing a very important point. becoming a good parent then becomes the end rather than the means to an end, which to me, is the forging of the child's character***. our supermom aspirations can then become counterproductive, doing more harm than good to our kids. they'll feel betrayed if they sense that they're being used to feed their parents' ego and sense of achievement. and that's no way to build trust.

i remember when I first enrolled my eldest in a private big school. my father told me he hoped i was doing it for the right reasons. what?! so there were wrong reasons for sending children to good expensive schools?! i initially tried to ignore the comment but it continued to nag me. so i examined my motive. why was i indeed sending him to an expensive**** school? there are of course canned rational answers to that but my deepest reason for sending my son to an expensive school was because i didn't want to shortchange him. i didnt want to scrimp on the most important financial investment a parent can give a child. parang feeling ko, dapat ang education ng mga bata, medyo ginagapang naman. my element of sacrifice dapat.

was that philosophy shaped by societal expectations? was it valid? i don't know. but what i know is that i didn't send him to that school because of the attached status symbol. and that I think was what my dad was driving at.

his comment gave me an important pointer on parenting: always check your motives. the decision that you make will not be judged by its outcome but by the intent behind it. who will be the judge? yourself. nobody else has the right to judge your intention. when you're not too fixated on the outcome, that takes off a lot of pressure. because honestly, we can't control the outcomes in parenting. that's probably why my mother always tells me that my children's success and failures are not mine. it's not meant to be an escape clause for lousy parents but that's just the way it is.

i think that's worth keeping in mind.

-oOo-

so i said if there's anything i want to be good at, it's parenting. i asked myself if i wanted that because of the attached premium of that label on my ego. my heart said no. i want to be a good parent because my wonderful children deserve no less.

that's probably fair enough.




* probably not universally true

**There’s an emerging pop term for it: helicopter parents. ok, they're not actually the same. unlike "supermom", HP has a bit of derogatory tone to it, at least to me.

*** the goal of parenting is worth exploring in a separate post
****that's how an 80k tuition feels like to me

7 comments:

  1. Wisdom truly comes with age. When I was a kid, both my ideal and not-so-ideal parent was my mother--who, before the term was even conceived, was a helicopter parent (in hindsight, I suffered from an extreme form of childhood asthma--so I really needed all the attention). When I became a teenager, my mother was bumped off my ideal parent list, because she suddenly "found" herself and focused on her friends and ballroom dancing after my dad died. Through all this, one thing she said (during one of our dramatic confrontations) struck me: "I did my best to love you and guide you to be the grown-ups that you are."
    All I know now is, my mother did not care much about what other people said about what kind of parent she was. She was just concerned about what kind of persons we would turn out to be.
    Thanks for this very insightful post :) Parenting does not really have to be complicated :) May I send this to my other friends? Looking forward to your other parenting articles!

    ReplyDelete
  2. the only affirmation that a parent need is that given by his/her child. and you've given that to your mom in your comment above. i hope she gets to read it. :) looking at who you've become now, i think she deserves more than a pat on the back.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi ate ko!!! Wow!!! I never really came across to thinking that!? Our motives...our intentions....in that sense.. it's very real but it's also good we know ourselves more than the people who seem to know us.. it's quite an eye opener ate... there are alot of moms out there who are very much social driven and those who are just simply driven to give their very best because our kids deserve our very best because we are their moms... yes it is also very true ate that it is a natural instinct to have that belongingness/acceptance in our society... however I believe personally that being a mom is all on it's own.... and shouldn't be judged by society or what society says is accepted... although I have had my share of being critized as being the mom I am.. motherhood/parenthood is something unique, sacred, and should never be part of the rules and regulations of what society thinks fit... rather let us be free to be who we are and be the moms driven by what conquers us all... LOVE...

    This is a great blog ate.... Love you very much... Hope I made some sense... lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. i can't exactly say if we, dads, have to think over these things... most of the time, i just make it a point that we get by each day without much hassle.. i think and do things about finances, home safety, household cleanliness, kids' schedules, car stuff, travels/leisure, etc.. but do not give a thought if i am doing it well, or at least doing it right.

    do i think that it's a really a mom's stuff to reflect about all these parenthood stuff? i don't know.. maybe i haven't just started to dig deeper what parenthood is really all about. honestly, am not yet much into it..

    thanks for this.. this might be a good start..

    ReplyDelete
  5. @kay ading ko, your kids are all lucky to have such an amazing mom! proud of you :)

    @CJ thanks for posting a dad's POV here... men aren't really such a complicated bunch :) even if you don't feel like you're not that much into parenthood, i can tell you you're doing great in that area. keep it up :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am just a starting mommy, and this post really made me think of how I want my baby to see me when she grows up. Not for ego-serving (hmm, checking), but how much I’ve given myself to her. It’s the relationship you want to build between you, as a parent, and your child. Others may have the best advice to give you when it comes to rearing, but it’s what your heart feels and conscience dictates that you follow (I think so).

    ReplyDelete
  7. @anonymous spot on. i think we all have within us the wisdom to guide us in rearing our kids. we obviously can learn from others but the parent that we choose to become is ultimately up to us. the point is, whatever path we choose, we do it consciously and thoughtfully. and i think that's exactly what you're doing.

    ReplyDelete

share your thoughts here