Thursday, January 20, 2011

She

She doesn't know it, but to me she's the most enlightened parent in the world.  I wouldn't even want myself (especially my teenage self) for a daughter but I think she handled me pretty well.  In the hands of a less capable parent, a stubborn, reckless, insecure teenager like I was would self-destruct in no time. But I came through, if I may say so myself.

She has always been a selfless parent.  She let neither her fears hold me back nor her expectations define me. She let me live my life, even if I wasn't worthy of that kind of trust.  That's because she had no illusions about living my life for me; and because she was ready to bear whatever the consequence, the likeliest being disappointment and heartbreak.

When the disappointments did come, she indulged some tears but kept her trusting stance.  Thankfully, I eventually managed to grow up.  More important,  I have come to love my life, warts and all, with no regrets, bitterness and what-ifs.  And that, I hope, made her heartbreaks even just a little bit worth it.

My life is blessed because of the life that she has been living: that of sacrifice, unconditional love and faith.  My life is unfolding the way it is because of the prayers she keeps in her heart.

If I can make my heart as big and brave as hers, develop discernment as deep as hers, blessed even more are my husband and children.

Happy birthday Ma!

2 comments:

  1. This is the best birthday gift i received. In my life anak. See what you've done, you've made me cry again, tears of happiness and gratitude to the Lord for the blessing that you are to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As my mama always says, the fruit does not fall far from the tree :) Happy birthday Tita Barbs! I have heard so much about you, and they are all good things :) Because of you I have Ate Joyce for a dear friend, thank you! :)

    ReplyDelete

share your thoughts here